A small overview of the social network for brands: what you need to know to successfully launch advertising campaigns in TikTok.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a platform dominated by video content, namely vertical videos lasting 15-60 seconds. They can be edited: change the speed, add filters and masks, insert excerpts of songs from the internal library or independently download audio.
TikTok videos are not at all the same as Instagram stories. Here, the emphasis is on creativity of varying degrees of talent (therefore, here you will not find videos such as “here I eat” and “here I am stroking my dog” – they are not interesting to anyone in TikTok) and music videos.
- If you still think that TikTok is a little-known social network, mostly popular in China, the following numbers are for you:
- In December 2019, the Tik ‑ Tok app reached 1.5 billion downloads. Based on the statistics of the App Store and Play Market, it is downloaded more often than Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat.
- To date, the social network is represented in 155 countries.
- According to Datareportal, the monthly active audience of the application is about 500 million people.
- GlobalWebIndex: 41% of the audience are people aged 16 to 24 years. At the same time, the platform has already begun to actively attract an adult audience: since September 2018, the number of tickers among the adult (21+) US population has doubled and reached 14.3 million in just six months.
- 9/10 users log in to Tick Tok more than once a day.
- According to BusinessofApps for 2019, users spend an average of 52 minutes in an application every day.
According to Out Digital, TikTok in USA:
- 6.8 million active users per month;
- 8.1 billion video views per month;
- 36 minutes – the average time the video was viewed per day;
- seven times a day the user enters the application.
Advertise on TikTok
If you decide to launch an advertising campaign in TikTok, you have 2 options.
The first is to follow the path of “classic” targeted advertising: the criteria by which you can configure ads are similar to Facebook – location, age, gender, languages, interests, devices, etc. You can set conversions, clicks, or impressions as your campaign’s goals.
In addition, when placing advertisements using the TikTok dashboard, brands have tools for both native and direct advertising:
- Standard full-screen banner – Tik ‑ Tok displays your advertisement immediately after entering the application.
- Brand TakeOver – It looks like the previous format, but you can use short clips up to 5 seconds.
- In ‑ feed ads – commercials in the feed. You can add voting cards, masks, effects, badges and other joys to them.
However, there are a number of nuances in working with an advertising account, for example, an initial account balance of $ 500 and a minimum daily budget of $ 50 for one campaign. Such details often push brands to another option of promotion through Tik ‑ Tok – direct cooperation with popular ticktokers, without mediation of the platform.
In this case, the advertising tools are already different:
- Branded masks and filters – everything is like on Instagram. In TikTok, clips using various augmented reality (AR) effects are very popular, so this type of integration is most interesting. The effectiveness of such advertising is measured by the number of videos with a branded effect, the number of views of such clips, as well as the number of likes, comments and reposts.
- Native product placement – this type of advertising integration assumes that you yourself will find a suitable blogger and arrange a collaboration with him. The reaction of the Tick-Tok audience to native or funny advertising is mostly positive, so this type of advertising works quite well.
- The HashTag Challenge is one of the most effective ad formats in Tik Tok. The mechanics of launching such an advertising campaign involves a start among bloggers with a large audience, whose videos very quickly gain a large number of views. The effectiveness of this feature can be measured by the number of views of all user clips that participated in the promotional challenge, as well as the number of likes and comments. This format can also be launched from the Tik Tok Marketing team.
In the case of an independent search for bloggers – be prepared for unsystematic pricing. Advertising prices vary depending on formats, subjects and other circumstances. However, in almost all cases, one thing remains unchanged: influencers are paid more if they have a high level of audience involvement, as well as a large number of live, active subscribers who interact with their publications.
The most interesting accounts for advertising campaigns can be calculated using the Engagement Rate formula, which is traditional for social networks:
ER = (likes + comments) / followers * 100%
For greater accuracy, it is recommended to calculate the total coefficient of the order of the last 20 publications.
There is another way – use the special TikTok calculator. It will calculate the Engagement Rate of the account you are interested in, present data on the number of subscribers, likes, comments, and on their basis will calculate the estimated cost of advertising.
Audience statistics and internal account analytics
TikTok internal account analytics
Until recently, many brands bypassed TikTok for precisely this reason – it was difficult to measure the results of marketing efforts, as there were not enough analytical tools on the platform.
The following are some tips on how to find and use them:
# 1: Switch to TikTok Pro account to access TikTok Analytics
TikTok has its own analytics tool for Pro accounts, similar to Instagram Creator. The TikTok dashboard gives you an idea of your audience and the effectiveness of published content.
Switching to a Pro account is easy. Start by navigating to your profile settings and clicking on the “Manage My Account” option. On the next screen, click Switch to Pro Account.
Next, you will be asked to select a category for your account. Categories include social activist, personal blog, education, media, entertainment, and more.
The last step is to enter the phone number for your account, and then the code that you will receive via SMS.
After setting up your Pro account, return to the Settings menu and you will see the Analytics option. Click this option to open the TikTok analytics panel.
Important: TikTok Analytics will only start recording data after switching to a Pro account. The toolbar will not display any historical data. You will need to wait up to 7 days until your account has accumulated enough data to start displaying the information. During this period, you should publish as much content as possible so that you can better understand analytics.
As soon as the analytical data begins to fill in, you can immerse yourself in the understanding of your account.
There are three main categories that TikTok displays in the toolbar of your account:
- Profile Overview
- Idea content
- Sequence of ideas
Click on the tabs at the top of the Google Analytics screen to dive deeper into each category and find new ideas.
# 2: TikTok Analytics Profile Overview
The Profile Overview tab is useful for determining how well your TikTok profile works. This data includes the total number of video views, profile views and the number of subscribers.
You can use profile review data to interpret the sequence of users, from people who start consuming your content to those who become interested subscribers.
This allows you to estimate the conversion rate from the total number of video views to users who visit your profile, and then the conversion rate of those who are actually subscribed to your profile.
This analysis will help you prepare an effective content strategy. When you have a clear idea of the degree of conversion of your content, you can start planning a publication schedule and more accurately determine the growth rate of your account.
# 3: TikTok Analytics Subscribers Data
The TikTok analytics tab displays the demographics of your audience on the Subscribers tab. You can see the gender breakdown and percentage breakdown of your audience by location.
# 4: TikTok Analytics Content Data
The Content tab in TikTok analytics contains the most interesting posts. In the top-level view, you can see the total number of views of each video post over the past 7 days, displayed in order from the newest to the oldest.
It also shows which of your videos were popular on the For You page during this period, as well as the total number of views of these videos throughout the process.
Analytics for each post includes:
- Number of posts
- Total number of comments
- Total shares
- Total video playback time
- Total video views
- Average viewing time
- Types of traffic sources
- Audience area
Audience geolocation data helps determine whether a particular piece of content matches different demographic metrics for an audience.
Having studied the binding of the territory to individual messages, you can compare this data with the territories of your general audience shown on the “Subscribers” tab. Then see if different forms of content resonate with a new audience from different places. If you notice that certain posts work better in certain places, you can double the creation of such content and come up with new ideas for Tick Tok.
As an evolving platform, TikTok presents a unique opportunity for brands seeking to attract more youth. If you were curious to try TikTok as a social channel, now is the time to start. The above services and tools will help to create effective pr-campaigns and easily track the results from the platform.
Of course, before moving on to the platform, make sure that TikTok is perfect for your brand. If your target audience does not include the average user of the platform, you may not need to allocate resources for experiments.
Index of Contents